Do you want to repair metal items in your home? Or, you’re a part time welder or professional welder? Then, buying welding machine is very important to do your job very quickly, because welding machine helps to join metals.
When you look welding machine in today’s market, you will get plenty of options to buy. Thus, buying welding machine is not a matter at all. But, if you want to choose the best welding machine, then it should be a time-consuming task only.
Many welders confused to choose one with a wide range of options. Therefore, I created this buying guide for helping you people. At the same time, this is not only for a part-time or professional welder, but also aimed to help people who newly entering into welding process.
Prior to buying welding machine, it is better to know basics of the welding process and different types of welding machines too. So, in this buying guide, I’m going to give you the fundamentals of welding and various types of machines with features.
In case, if you’re an experienced person in welding process and machines, then you can skip this and proceed to buy a machine with your own experience. But, I hope, this section helps you to make yourself as an expert in the welding process. However, this guide is very helpful for a newbie.
Are you ready to know about various kinds of welding machines and which is best for you? Let’s start!!
What is a welder?
First of all, what is welding? There are so many definitions for the welding process, but commonly understandable one is joining 2 metal parts to strengthen joints. In order to join the metals, the surface of the metal is heating up. Meanwhile, there are so many methods to do welding process.
The tool that used to heats up the metals and to make high strengthen joint is called as a welder. A word “welder” is not only used to call a person who takes over the welding process but also used for the tool that used to done this process.
So, a welder is a tool used to accomplish all forms of the welding process. Some welding process requires only one tool, whereas some need more than one tool.
Benefits and Features of Welders:
We all know that there are various types of welders available in these days market. Thus, the basic knowledge about each type of welder is very important. This is because welders are used based on the materials, purposes and other variants. At the same time, the operation of various welders differs from one to another. Thus, the important benefits and features of each welding machine help buyers to take the right decision on choosing welder among more options.
No worries, I’m here for helping you in this. Here, I’m going to share your benefits and features of different welders for you to know.
In the MIG welding, two or more metal pieces are joined by creating an electric arc between the pieces.
Benefits and features of MIG welder:
- It is very easy to learn, so beginners can start with this welder.
- This tool is suitable for stainless steel, aluminum alloys, steel and other materials too.
- With this welder, you can do all welding process including overhead.
- There is no slag removal is needed in this welding process because of using gas for shielding.
- Compare with other welders, it offers various speed to weld metals.
- By using this welder, you can weld metals even in thin size.
The flux-cored welder does the same process of MIG welder, but the only difference is the flux-cored welder doesn’t use gas for shielding.
Benefits and features of flux-cored welder:
- This is mainly used for outdoor applications.
- Compare with MIG welder, it performs well in the outdoor welding process.
- There are no risks associated with this flux-cored welder.
- You can weld even the dirty materials with this welder.
- This is a portable welder because it doesn’t need a gas bottle.
This is a Tungsten Arc welding tool and uses non-consumable tungsten electrode to create an arc between metals in shielding.
Benefits and features of TIG welder:
- This is an ideal choice for welding with a vast range of materials.
- You can make use this tool for stainless steel, cast iron, brass, copper, steel, and like more.
- This is suitable for all positioning welding.
- You can use this welder on both thinner and thicker metals.
- You can control the input heat using foot pedal in the welding process.
- It doesn’t require slag removal.
This is also used for metal arc welding, but requires consumable and as well as a flux-core electrode for shielding.
Benefits and features of stick welder
- This welder is best for stainless steel, cast iron and welding steels.
- This is best for outdoor applications.
- You can do welding on any positions.
- It doesn’t require any additional tools.
- This is a less expensive welder.
These are the benefits and features of each type of welders.
Wired vs. Portable Welders, Which is better?
We all know there are various types of welders, but you know all those types of welders are come under wired or portable welders only. So, from wired and portable welders, which is better? This is the question asked by many people who looking to buy a welder.
If you’re one of such a person having this same doubt, then keep continue to find a solution.
When I tested these 2 kinds of welders, I have decided wired welder is better. And, many professional welders also agreed. And, portable welders are also called as stick welders.
Why is wired welder better? In order to answer this question clearly, I would like to tell how wired and portable welder works for the welding process.
How portable welders work?
The portable welders use rod-shaped electrode for the welding process. So, if you touch the rod-shaped electrode on the metal pieces, then you can able to weld the metal pieces. In this process, the high temperature is created to melt the rod that makes flux coating on the metal.
The biggest advantage of the portable welder is, it is very easy to switch from various electrodes. And, you can use this even on the dirty materials, so this is perfect for outdoor applications.
The disadvantage with this stick welder is, it is very difficult to learn how to use this welder.
How wire feed welder works?
Mechanically, the process of wire feed welder is complex, but it is very easy to learn and operate. This welder works with a thin wire electrode and cable to the welding gun.
You can utilize this welder to join all materials from thin to the thick sheet. In addition to that, this is made to overcome all difficulties in stick welding.
Therefore, wire feed welder is best to buy for all people from newbie to an experienced one.
Main Kinds of Welders:
As said before, there are different types of welders available in these days market. But, all those welders are not used by all welders. Instead of that, only a few types of welders are commonly used by almost one and all welders.
What are those main kinds of welders? Below are the most commonly used kinds of welders in a detailed manner for you to know fundamentals of those welders so that you can choose the right one for your welding process.
The MIG welders are mainly used for the applications that related to repairing, home needs, ranch application, general maintenance, and auto-body workshops. Apart from that, this welder features protection from thermal overload.
The output power of 140A is more enough for home based purposes and for industrial applications, MIG welder with 230A is required.
When the appearance of welding is not important, then using flux-cored welder is more enough. You can use this welder for the substitution of MIG welder in all applications. But, the flux-cored welder is an ideal choice for outdoor metal shielding, and repair. At the same time, you can also use this for auto-body workshops too.
When it comes to TIG welders, the materials that related to aluminum are good to weld. Apart from that, if you need high-quality welding frequently, then TIG welders are an excellent choice. However, the TIG welder is most commonly used for auto-body workshops, simple home repairs, frame fabrications, metal art, and like more.
The stick welders are used in a wide range of applications like general maintenance, repair shops, plant fabrications, ranch applications, construction applications, various sites and more. In addition to that, you can use this stick welder with either AC or DC power supply.
These are the main kinds of welders that mostly used. From this section, you should know the types of welders along with where to use those tools. Now, it is very easy for you to choose welder based on your needs right!!
How to maintain wire feed welder?
So, have you decided to buy wire feed welder? If so, then before paying for wire feed welder, it is very important to know how to maintain wire feed welder. The wire feed welders are available from low to expensive rate. On the other hand, there is no matter that you’re buying either cheap or costlier welder, but maintaining wire feed welder is crucial to increase the durability and as well as avoiding performance issues.
Here, I’m going to share you few tips to maintain wire feed welder.
- You have to use the welder as per the specifications.
- Each week, you have to clean the welder and remove dust and debris.
- A good idea to keep your welder away from dust is covering it while operating.
- Sometime welder requires grease to operate well, so you need to clean the grease.
- You can approach shops to service your welder on a monthly
- Some equipment requires replacing after a particular period of time, so do this.
- You need to replace the liner based on the usage for smooth wire feeding.
By following the above-mentioned ways, you can maintain the wire feed welder and get longer durability and better performance.
Popular wire feed welder brands:
There are so many manufacturers to introduces various forms of wire feed welders. As like as best wire feed welder, you also need to find the best brand. This is because purchasing welder is a kind of investment. So, by choosing the best brand, you can able to save some money and get more durability.
At the same time, you also need to ensure the brand that you have chosen offer service on all area so that you can repair the welder and as well as make use guarantee.
I have looked a lot of brands and going to share you popular wire feed welder brands for you to prefer. A few popular brands for wire feed welder are as follows:
- Lincoln Electric Welders
- Miller Electric Welders
- Hobart Welders
- Thermal Arc Welders
- ESAB Welders
While buying wire feed welder, prefer the above-listed brands to make sure the right welder for your project.
Price Range of wire feed welder:
There are 2 options to buy wire feed welder and those are retail shops and online stores, where you can look wire feed welder from cheap price to costlier. So, you can purchase welder based on your budget.
At the same time, it’s not necessary to spend more money to buy the best wire feed welder. Yes, there are best wire feed welders at low prices too. You know, some top brands of wire feed welder provides some special offers, bonus or free shipment.
When you’re purchasing wire feed welder through online, you will find more offers. In this way, you can save some more money. Thus, you no need to worry about the cost of wire feed welder. But, buying welder is an investment, so pick the right tool.
Top Recommendations on wire feed welder:
I have looked a wide range of options of wire feed welder available in these days market and take a list of top recommended wire feed welder. After reading the review part of all welders, I concluded some wire feed welders are best to buy.
Below are the top 5 recommendations on wire feed welder available from low to high prices for people from newbie to professional. Let’s see!!
1. Forney Easy Weld 299 125FC Flux Core Welder Review
The Forney 299 125FC Flux Core Welder is designed only for gasless flux core welding process. This welder accepts 2 to 10 pounds spools and operated on 120-volt input and 125 amp output. And, some of the features of this welder are as follows:
Forney Easy Weld 299 125FC Highlights:
- This welder welds 24-gauge up to ¼”.
- It consumes larger area to store.
- It works without using gas setup.
- This is a plug and plays
- Spools in this welder make it as a versatile system.
Forney Easy Weld 299 specifications:
- Item model number: 299
- Size: 125FC
- Color: Green
- Material: Metal
- Power Source: Corded-Electric
- Amperage Capacity: 125 A
- Cord Length: 6 Feet
- Special Features: Tweco Consumables
- Batteries Required: No
- Warranty Description: 6 months
“If you want to buy a gasless flux core welding machine at a reasonable price, then Forney 299 125FC Flux Core Welder is the right choice for you.”
2. Goplus MIG 130 Welder Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welding Machine Review
This is another recommended flux core wire feed welding machine designed with a handle and size of the handle is 12”. Below are some of the highlights of this flux core welding machine.
Goplus MIG 130 Highlights:
- You will get an excellent experience in MIG welding using this tool.
- It results in professional finishing in welding.
- You can make use this welder for thin sheet and car bodywork.
Goplus MIG 130 Specifications:
- Material: steel frame and plastic handle
- Weight: 35 lbs
- Dimension: 13.4″ x 7.3″x 11.4″
- 4 adjustable heating
- Size of mask: 7.87″X9.5″
- Voltage: 110V/60HZ
- Cord with welding gun: 65″
- Length of power cord: 72.5″
- Circuit breaker: 10A
- Mains fuse:13 A
- Max open voltage: 37V
- Max absorbed power:3.6 KVA;
- Max output current:15% at 105 AMP
What’s in the box?
Goplus® MIG 130 Welder Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welding Machine is packed with the following items.
- 1X welder machine
- 1X welding gun
- 1X Welding Wire
- 1X weld mask
- 1X brush
“If you’re looking welder for MIG welding at a cheap rate, then Goplus® MIG 130 Welder Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welding Machine is an ideal choice for you.”
3. Hobart Handler 140 Wire Welder Review (500559)
The Hobart 500559 Handler Wire Welder is designed with high quality and as well as portability, so it is very easy for transportation. Some of the highlights of this welder are as follows:
Hobart Handler 140 Highlights:
- It is very easy to set up and use.
- It doesn’t require any additional kit for welding.
- This is available at ready to use manner
- You can use this welder for almost all applications.
- It provides 5-position tapped voltage control settings.
What’s in the box?
The package of Hobart Handler 140 Wire Welder includes the following items.
- Handler 140 with built-in gas valve
- 10 ft. MIG gun with liner
- Dual gauge regulator and gas hose
- 10-ft work cable and clamp
- 10-ft power cord
- Extra .030 contact tips
- Sample spool of .030 flux-cored wire
- 8-inch spool adapter
- Owner’s manual
- Set-up guide
“If you’re wondering high quality and portable welder for your DIY project, then Hobart 500559 Handler Wire Welder is an ideal option for you.”
4. Super Deal Black Commercial MIG 130 AC Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welder Review
Do you want to buy a welder for welding mild steel? Then, why you didn’t buy Super Deal Black Commercial MIG 130 AC Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welder because this is mainly designed for mild steel welding.
Super Deal Black Commercial MIG 130 Highlights:
- You can use this welder with various speed controls
- It offers 4 adjustable heating.
- It requires maximum 37-Voltage.
- It includes torch with full on and off safety control
Super Deal Black Product specifications:
- Voltage: 110 V / 60 Hz Single Phase
- Welding Current: 50-120 AMP
- Duty Cycle: 10% at 105AMP / 35% at 60 AMP
- Max open voltage: 37V
- Weld able wires: 0.023” to 0.035” steel and stainless steel, 0.030” flux-cored
What’s in the box?
The Super Deal Black Commercial MIG 130 AC Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welder comes to your hand with the following items.
- MIG-130 Main Unit
- Welding Spool Wire
- Welding Face Mask
- Chipping Hammer/ Wire Brush
- 5M Torch, xtra 2 Tips
- Ground Cord
“If you’re looking cheap rated welder for welding mild or stainless steel, then Super Deal Black Commercial MIG 130 AC Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welder is the best choice.”
5. Campbell Hausfeld WF215001AV Flux Core Wire Feed Welder Review
The Campbell Hausfeld WF215001AV Flux Core Wire Feed Welder comes under power-welders and designed for outdoor applications. Keep continue your reading to find some highlights of this welder.
Campbell Hausfeld WF215001AV Highlights:
- It provides more durability, so lasts for years.
- This welder offers portability, so easy for transportation.
- Its infinite wire speed control allows you to make an adjustment for the smooth welding process.
- To avoid overheating, it includes thermal overload protection.
- It automatically shuts off melting to prevent overheating.
- It is made with a torch for ease of process.
- It comes to your hand with 5 years limited warranty.
Campbell Hausfeld WF215001AV specification:
- Product Dimensions: 19.5 x 15.1 x 11 inches
- Item model number: WF2150
- Color: Blue
- Power Source: corded-electric
- Voltage: 115 volts
- Installation Method: arc-welding
- Batteries Required: No
“If you want a welder for outdoor applications with high quality, then Campbell Hausfeld WF215001AV Flux Core Wire Feed Welder is an excellent choice for you.”
After reading this buying guide, now, you should know fundamentals of various welders and benefits and features of each. From this guide, you also come to know that wire feed welders are best to buy right!!
Among various options with wire feed welders, choosing the best one for you depends on your budget, purposes, environment where you use and like more. But, having knowledge of the purpose of different welders, benefits and features ease the buying process.
So, prior to fixing with any one of the welders, refer this guide to ensure the best buy!!