The Garmin Forerunner 110 heart rate monitor sports watch has all of the basic features you need like GPS tracking and is one of the least expensive of all of the Garmin models. Find out more in my review.
When it comes to exercise sometimes less technology is better. Now I’m not talking about running barefoot in the streets of Manhattan wearing just a loincloth. (Although some people do run barefoot and swear by it – however they typically don’t wear just a loincloth. 🙂 ) What I am talking about with less tech though is a scaled down Garmin fitness watch, namely the 110.
If you’ve used the Garmin 405 or 305 models you know that they are loaded with features, buttons, bezels, and the works. Some people love all of these features, which is shown by the big sales and positive reviews on most all of the Garmin advanced GPS heart rate monitor watches. However, for a lot of people, it’s just too much. They want something that is easy to operate and just provides the basic information like where you are, how fast you’re going, and how far you have gone. And most importantly for heart rate monitors you want to know are you staying in your heart rate zone while you’re training.
The Garmin Forerunner 110 provides all of that information in a package that is easy to see and understand. This article will acquaint you with this fashionable and efficient watch by discussing its technical specifications, special features, and reviews from consumers just like you. Here’s what you can expect.
Setting Up and Using the Garmin Forerunner 110 Is A Piece of Cake
As previously mentioned, this Garmin watch model is one of the easiest fitness watches to use, even for a novice. It comes in three different models: men’s (which is black and red), women’s (which is gray and pink), and unisex (which is gray and black and does not include the heart rate monitor).
Each model boasts a simplistic design without sacrificing efficiency. All you have to do upon opening the box is charge it up, answer a minimal amount of setup questions, and take it outside to get a GPS signal. After that, all you do is press start when you start your workout and stop when you are finished. It is THAT easy.
This video from Garmin talks about setting up the 110.
The Garmin Forerunner 110 Rocks It With Superior GPS
The superior GPS chip that is included in the Garmin Forerunner 110 model lets you get all of the important data without unnecessary features cluttering up the device and making it more complicated. The GPS chip, along with the HotFix satellite prediction, used in these models is so good, in fact, that it keeps track of where you are and stays connected to the satellites even when you are near tall buildings or under lots of tree cover.
The GPS feature is used to accurately record the distance traveled, the time it took to travel, and the average pace that you kept over the duration of the run. Not only does the watch collect and display the data, but it also stores the data (up to 200 hours) so that you can view your progress over the last month or so. This excellent feature allows you to train for a marathon or just work towards fitness and wellness goals.
Analyze Your Heart Rate To Reach Your Performance Goals
The men’s and women’s models of the Forerunner 110 come with a built-in heart rate monitor. This feature makes the product an excellent choice for a variety of reasons. First, it allows you to monitor your heart rate and keep it at an optimum level to help you reach your goals, whether they are weight loss, aerobic training, or anything else.
Second, the watch can use this feature to calculate the calories being burned based on your heart rate. If you are working toward weight loss goals, this feature is especially helpful because it allows you to keep track of your daily caloric intake and outtake.
You’ll Be Able To Upload Your Data to the Garmin Connect Website
Another great feature of this watch is that when you purchase it, you automatically have access to Garmin Connect, a free data analysis and sharing website. (You do still have to sign up the first time you access it, of course.) The site allows you to track your routes, view your workout history, summarize and share your data, create goals, and so much more. Head on over to check it out at Garmin Connect.
The battery life of the Garmin Forerunner 110 is good as well. Once you have fully charged it the first time, it will last up to 8 hours in training mode and up to 3 weeks in power save mode.
- Small and nice-looking – The Forerunner 110 looks like a high tech sports watch and people won’t even be able to tell that it houses a GPS along with all of the other technology it has.
- Finds satellite signal very quickly – You won’t have to wait around long for an accurate signal, even in the city.
- Split timer – You can set the split timer to beep when you want it to. You’ll be able to record your split times for each mile, or any distance you want, with information like your average pace and average heart rate.
- You can use the 110 on your bike – You’ll need to buy a bike handle attachment so that you can see the display better or you can just use it on your wrist, your choice.
- Not recommended for water use – So if you’re a triathlete you’ll need to leave the 110 on your bike and not use it for the swimming phase.
- Doesn’t show current pace – This is not a huge problem for me as I like to see what my average pace is over a set distance, say 1 mile. Other people like to see what their pace is right at that exact moment. The 110 does tell you what your average pace is for the current mile so if you are under what you want to do you can speed up and the average pace figure will slowly start to drop.
What You Get In The Box
- Garmin Forerunner 110
- Heart rate monitor and chest strap
- Charging clip which plugs directly into USB port
- AC adaptor for charging in a standard outlet
- Garmin Forerunner 110 Owner’s Manual
Best Places To Shop
I found the 110 at few online sports stores but the prices weren’t that great. My researched showed the best deal on Amazon.com. Their prices were running 25 – 30% lower than most other stores, which is really good. Amazon also has free shipping which is a nice bonus. When you go there, the prices for the 3 versions of the 110 will vary slightly. Remember the black base model doesn’t come with a heart rate monitor but the ladies pink model and the men’s red model do.
Basically, if you are looking for a stylish and effective runner’s watch, the Garmin Forerunner 110 sport watch with heart rate monitor is a good choice. It is simple to use, has excellent GPS service, and allows you to upload your information to your computer. Make no mistake – the Garmin Forerunner 110 is an excellent choice for almost anyone.